motor 2 Solenoid mounting bolt 5 Screw 3 Starting
To check the voltage regulator
motor mounting bolt does not enter the starting
operating voltage, connect the generator
motor or contact the electrical parts.
regulator and generator in a
1,425 rpm. Operating voltage must be as
perating voltage (~5
If the voltage regulator fails to perate
within the required range, adjust the setting of
the voltage regulator adjusting nut (12, fig. 26)
until the required range is attained.
(8) W ith the generator regulator connected as
rheostat, check the operating amperage
of the current regulator. It should operate
at 17 to 19 amperes. If it fails to operate
within the required range, adjust the
setting of the current regulator adjusting
nut (14, fig. 26) until the reuired range is
(9) If the adjustments cannot be made,
Figure 88. Starting motor and solenoid installation.
replace the generator regulator.
Inspect the assembled starting motor and
(1) Disconnect the two electrical connectors
worn gear teeth, or other damage.
Replace or refer to higher authority if
flywheel end of the engine housing;
c Installation. Installation of the starting motor is
remove the generator regulator.
the reverse of the removal procedure described in a
(3) Position a replacement regulator on the
back of the instrument panel; secure with
the four screws and lockwashers.
(4) Secure the two electrical connectors to
(1) Remove the starting motor and solenoid
the generator regulator.
as directed in a above.
69. Starting Motor
(2) Connect the starting motor and solenoid
a Removal fig. 28).
in the test circuit shown in figure 28.
Adjust the starting motor to 3,650 rpm by
(1) Tag and remove leads from the starter
starting motor operating at 3,650 rpm,
(2) Remove the three mounting bolts (3) and
current draw must not exceed 72.5
amperes and voltage draw must not
(4) to the flywheel housing; remove the
exceed 23.5 volts. If current or voltage
assembled starting motor and solenoid
draw is not within limit or the motor will
not turn at 3,650 rpm, replace the motor
b. . Cleaning and Inspection.
or the solenoid.
(1) Clean the outside of the starting motor with a cloth
(3) Install the starting m tor and solenoid as
dampened with cleaning solent; wipe dry. Take
directed in c above.
care that solvent 38 1 Starter solenoid 4 Starting