and slip the generator--fan belt (2) off
the generator pulley.
(2) Remove the electrical connector (6) from
(3) Remove the belt adjusting screw and the
generator mounting bolts; remove the
(4) Remove the nut and lockwasher that
secure the generator drive pulley (11) to
the armature shaft; pull the generator
drive pulley, baffle (10), fan (9), and key
from the armature shaft.
c Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean the outside of the generator with a
cloth dampened with cleaning solvent;
wipe dry. Take care that no cleaning
solvent enters the generator or comes in
contact with wires or electrical parts.
Clean all other metal parts in cleaning
solvent. Dry with clean, dry compressed
(2) Inspect the generator for damage; replace
a damaged generator or refer to the
proper authority. Inspect all other parts for
cracks, breaks, dents, stripped threads, or
other damage; replace damaged parts.
d Installation Installation of the generator is the
reverse of the removal procedure described in b above.
Observe the following special instructions:
(1) Do not fully tighten the generator mounting
Figure 25. Generator and water pump installation.
bolts (8) and belt adjusting screw (3) until
after the generator--fan belt has been
67. Generator--Fan Belt
(2) Adjust the generator--fan belt (pare 67a).
(1) Loosen the generator mounting bolts (8)
and belt adjusting screw (3).
block until the generator--fan belt (2)
deflects ~ inch when depressed by hand
midway between the generator and water
(3) Tighten the belt adjusting screw (3) and
the generator mounting bolts (8).
secure the fan guard (1) to the radiator
shroud; remove the fan guard.
Figure 24. Generator test circuit.