CONNECTING ROD AND PISTON ASSEMBLY REPLACE/REPAIR (CONT).
Be sure that cylinder numbers of shell
and bearing cap coincide with that on
connecting rod and that shell is marked
with the letter L.
Install bearing shell (5) in connecting rod cap (6). being
sure that bearing shell tang is in recess in cap.
10. Lubricate bearing shell (5) with Lubricating Oil.
11. Lubricate connecting rod bolts (7) and washer face with
Be sure that cylinder numbers of
bearing cap and connecting rod are
aligned and that dowels and dowel
holes are in proper position.
12. Secure connecting rod caps (6) to connecting rods and
install bolts (7) hand tight.
13. Tighten bolts (7) in alternating sequence to the
Tighten to 75 ft-lbs (100 Nm).
Tighten to 170 ft-lbs (230 Nm).
14. Measure connecting rod side clearance. Side
clearance must be between 0.0045 and 0.13 inch
(0.114 and 3.30 mm).
The connecting rod must move freely from side to side on the crankshaft journal. If the rod does not
move freely, remove rod cap and make sure the beanng shells are correct size. Check for dirt or
damage on the crankshaft and bearing shells.
15. Install piston coding nozzles in accordance with paragraph 4-18.
16. Install cylinder head assembly in accordance with paragraph 3-36.
17. Install oil pan assembly in accordance with paragraph 3-38.
18. Install engine assembly in accordance with paragraph 3-20.