CONNECTING ROD AND PISTON ASSEMBLY REPLACE/REPAIR (CONT).
14. Measure connecting rod journal bearing clearances as follows:
Install connecting rod bearing shells into connecting rod assembly being sure that all components are marked
with same cylinder number and lower and upper shells are in proper position.
Assemble connecting rod assembly in accordance with step 13 (a).
Measure bearing inside diameter. Replace bearing shells if out of dimensional limits.
Bearing Clearance - Inch (mm)
15. Measure connecting rod journals on crankshaft in accordance with paragraph 4-17.
16. Measure piston rod bearing shell thickness. Replace any shell that is worn to a thickness of under 0 093 Inch (2.362
17. Check piston ring gap as follows:
Compress piston ring (11) so that it can be inserted
into cylinder liner (12) in which it will be used.
Use top part of piston (1) to push piston ring (11)
into cylinder liner (13).
Use a feeler gauge to measure ring gap. Replace
if it does not meet following specification:
Piston Ring Gap
0.017 inch (0.43 mm)
0.027 inch (0.68 mm)
0.020 inch (0.51 mm)
0.030 inch (0.76 mm)
0.019 inch (0.48 mm)
0.029 inch (0.74 mm)
0.010 inch (0.25 mm)
0.025 inch (0.64 mm)
Add 0.003 inch (0.08 mm) to the maximum limit for
each 0.001-inch (0.03 mm) wear in cylinder liner wall.
18. Clean and inspect cylinder liners in accordance with paragraph