GEAR COVER ASSEMBLY REPAIR/REPLACE (CONT).
24. Check eccentricity of vibration damper as follows:
Install dial indicator to gear cover and set plunger on edge of vibration damper.
Rotate crankshaft and record dial indicator movement.
Replace vibration damper if eccentricity exceeds 0.004 inch (0.10 mm) per 1.0 inch (25.4 mm) of damper
25. Check vibration damper for wobble as follows:
Install dial indicator to gear cover and set plunger on front surface of vibration damper.
Push in on vibration damper and maintain hand pressure while rotating damper 360 degrees.
Record total dial indicator motion.
Replace damper if wobble exceeds 0.007 inch (0.18 mm) per 1.0 inch (25.4 mm) of radius.
26. Install all drive belts in accordance with paragraph 2-41.
Touching exhaust system during test can cause severe burns.
CARBON MONOXIDE (EXHAUST GAS) CAN KILL YOU
Exposure to exhaust gases produces symptoms of headache, dizziness, loss of
muscular control, drowsiness, or coma. Brain damage or death can result from
Fumes from engines become concentrated with poor ventilation. Operate engine
in a ventilated area only.
While running engine, be alert for fumes. If someone is overcome, expose to
fresh air; keep warm and still; give artificial respiration if needed. Seek medical
attention. Administer oxygen, it available.
GOOD VENTILATION IS THE BEST DEFENSE AGAINST EXHAUST POISONING.
27. Start engine in accordance with TM 10-4320-307-10, and operate until it reaches a temperature of 180°F (80
28. Check for leaks at gear cover oil seals and gaskets.