5.6.4 Sleeve and Rotating Assembly Maintenance.
This task covers:
General Mechanics Tool Kit (appendix B,
Section III, Item 1)
Torque Wrench (appendix B, Section III,
Arbor press (appendix B, Section III,
Lockwasher (TM 10-4320-226-24P)
Gaskets (TM 10-4320-226-24P)
Front seal (TM 10-4320-226-24P)
Rear seal (TM 10-4320-226-24P)
Oil (appendix E, Section II, Item 8)
Equipment shut down, refer to
paragraph 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52.
Impeller removed, paragraph 5.6.2.
Flexible coupling removed
Do not work on equipment without
following standard shop safety
Two different type drive couplings are used.
One has a taper lock hub with
two circles of bolts around hub.
The other is a solid hub with two threaded
holes opposite each other.
Remove oil drain plug (figure 5-14, 1) and drain oil into suitable container.
intermediate housing as follows:
a mark across seal plate (2) and intermediate bracket (3).
eight nuts (4) and lockwashers (5).
seal plate (2) with rotating seal assembly (6) and sleeve (7).
rotating seal assembly (6) and sleeve (7) from seal plate (2).
(5) Apply finger pressure to push sleeve (7) out of rotating sleeve
Remove shaft as follows:
(1) Remove screws (8) and lockwashers (9) from intermediate bracket (3) and
(2) Remove bearing cap (10).
(3) Remove bearing cap gasket (11) and discard.
(4) Remove front oil seal (12) and discard.
(5) Remove shaft assembly (13) as a single unit.
(6) Tap rear oil seal (14) out of intermediate bracket (3) and discard.