about one-fourth open. Turn the adjusting
the idle adjusting screw for 400 to 600
screw clockwise, shutting off the fuel, until
rpm idle operation.
the engine speed decreases or begins to
miss due to a lean mixture. Then turn the
(1) Open the carburetor drain cock (12)
adjusting screw counterclockwise until the
drain the carburetor.
engine reaches its maximum speed and
(2) Loosen the hose clamp (17) that secures
runs smoothly without missing.
the air intake hose (18) to the carburetor
(3) The idle mixture adjusting screw (6)
body (9); remove the hose from the
controls the amount of air admitted to the
idling system, which functions only at low
(3) Disconnect the governor linkage (73 from
speeds. Turning the screw clockwise cuts
off the air, making the mixture richer;
(4) Loosen the throttle cable adjusting screw
turning the screw counterclockwise admits
(3) and throttle cable anchor clip (5);
more air making the mixture leaner. Set
remove the throttle cable (4) from the
the idle mixture adjusting screw for the
smoothest running of the engine. If a
(5) Loosen the choke cable adjusting screw
vacuum gage is attached to the manifold,
(16) and the choke cable anchor clip (14);
set the adjusting screw for the highest
remove the choke cable (11) from the
manifold vacuum. Adjust
(6) Disconnect the fuel line (19) from the
elbow (8) on the carburetor. Remove the
(7) Remove the two mounting nuts (1) and
lock washers that secure the carburetor to
the manifold; remove the carburetor and
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean the outside of the carburetor with a
cloth dampened with cleaning solvent;
wipe dry. Clean all metal parts in an
approved cleaning solvent; dry with clean,
dry compressed air. Clean the hose with
a damp cloth.
(2) Inspect the carburetor for damage;
replace if damaged. Inspect all other
metal parts for cracks, dents, or other
damage; replace if damaged. Inspect the
replace if damaged.
d. Installation. Installation of the carburetor is the
reverse of the removal procedure described in b above.
Observe the following special instructions:
(1) W hen installing the choke cable (11),
position the choke lever (15) so that the
choke is in the open position, position the
choke control knob about 1/16 inch from
the full-in position, and tighten the choke
cable adjusting screw (16).
(2) W hen installing the throttle cable (4), hold
the throttle lever in the closed position,
position the throttle control knob about
Figure 18. Carburetor installation.
1/16 inch from the full-in position, and
tighten the throttle cable adjusting screw