8 Bonnet stem
2 Wheel nut
9 Disk stem
10 Male disk
4 Packing nut
11 Female disk
5 Gland spring
6 Packing gland
14 Bonnet screw
(2) Inspect the body for cracks and
age. Replace a worn or damaged disk.
breaks. Inspect the valve seats for
(4) Inspect the valve stem to see if it is
pitting, grooves, cracks, and excessive
bent or the threads are damaged.
wear. Replace a defective valve body.
(5) Discard used gaskets and packing.
If the valve seats are slightly pitted,
Use new gaskets and packing when
p i t s can be removed with emery
cloth. Be sure to clean the surfaces
(6) Replace all worn or damaged assembly
evenly to assure a proper seating of
screws and nuts.
d. Reassembly and installation. Reverse the
(3) Inspect the disks for wear and dam-
procedures outlined in a and b above.