(4) Replace inner tubes that are cut or
(6) Remove the oil seal (13) from the hub
and stud assembly (12), Remove the
(5) Inspect the steel wheels for bends,
inner bearing cone (10), Do not re-
move the bearing cones (10) unless
cracks, or other damage; repair or re-
they are damaged or worn, If worn,
place bent or damaged wheels.
remove them using a brass drift or
(1) Follow the instructions contained in c
above in the reverse manner.
b. Cleaning and inspection.
(2) Inflate the tires and tubes to 45 psi
(1) Wash all parts in an approved clean-
ing solvent and dry with clean com-
f. Installation. Carefully place the assem-
pressed air. Do not spin bearing cones
bled tire and wheel to position on the brake
with compressed air as this will dam-
drum, and secure it in position with the five
age the bearing.
nuts taken off during removal. Place the other
(2) Inspect the bearing cones for pitting,
components removed on the wheel and tire as-
excessive wear, and for free rotation.
sembly in their proper position and tighten each
Replace a damaged or worn bearing
cone. Inspect the bearing cups for
pits, grooves, and wear. Replace a
worn or damaged bearing cup.
a. Removal and disassembly.
(1) Remove the wheels and tires from the
(3) Inspect the axle nuts for stripped,
hub and stud assembly (par. 73b.).
worn, or damaged threads; replace as
(2) Remove the capscrews (27) and lock-
washers (26 ), and remove the outer
(4) Repack the wheel bearing with GAA
as instructed in the lubrication order.
and remove the outer grease cap (5).
(5) Discard the oil seals and gaskets.
Remove the gasket (6).
c. Reassembly and installation.
(3) Flatten the tang on the washer (8).
(1) Reassemble and install the wheels and
Remove the nuts (7) and washer (8)
from the axle (15).
lined in a above using new gaskets
(4) Slide the hub and stud assembly (12)
off the end of the axle body (15), at
(2) Adjust the wheel bearings until there
the same time removing the tongue
is a slight bind when rotating the
washer (9) and bearing cone (10).
wheel. Slack off on the nut slightly
(5) Remove the collar (14) from the axle
and bend the tang on the washer.