the pump and two are located on the
on a dial graduated from 0 psi to 160
(2) Purpose. The pump gate valves are
designed to control the flow of fuel
(1) Location. Two of the gate valves (10)
in the system.
are located on the suction manifold of
Section Ill. OPERATION UNDER USUAL CONDITIONS
(4) With the crank in position, pull up
against compression with a vigorous
a. The instructions in this section are pub-
quarter-turn. Do not attempt to spm
lished for the information and guidance of the
the engine with the crank. If the en-
personnel responsible for the operation of
g i n e does not start on the first
quarter-turn of the crank, re-engage
b. It is essential that the operator know how
and repeat the operation.
to perform every operation necessary to utilize
(5) Adjust the throttle so that the tach-
the equipment fully. This section gives instruc-
ometer indicates 1000 rpm.
tions on starting and stopping, operating de-
tails, and the steps necessary to move the equip-
(6) Open the suction valves. Pump should
ment to a new location.
pick up its prime in a few minutes, If
the pump does not prime after five
minutes, increase the engine speed to
1500 rpm for about five minutes until
a. Starting precautions.
prime is achieved; then reduce speed
(1) Install grounding rod and cable by
to 1000 rpm.
making a positive connection between
(7) Close the discharge valves and then
the rod and the pump frame.
open each valve about three turns to
reduce amount of liquid being pumped.
sure that the engine and pump compo-
This prevents overloading the pump
nents are lubricated as instructed in
(8) Slowly increase the speed as conditions
(3) Operate the fuel pump primer and
pump fuel into the carburetor as re-
Note. Maintain at least five inches of vacu-
um on the engine vacuum gage to prevent
(4) Close the suction valve and fill the
overloading the engine.
pump with the liquid to be pumped if
the pump and suction manifold are not
a. Adjust the throttle to reduce engine
(5) Open the air venting valve (7, fig. 1).
speed to idling; allow the engine to idle from 3
to 5 minutes.
(1) P u l l the throttle halfway out and
b. Push the ignition switch to the OFF posi-
place the ignition switch in ON posi-
tion. Close the discharge manifold gate valves,
then the suction manifold gate valve to retain
(2) Choke as required by pulling the choke
the liquid in the pump and suction line. Push
out and adjusting it after the engine
the ignition switch to the OFF position. If the
starts and runs smoothly.
liquid is permitted to run out of the suction
(3) Insert the crank and engage the crank-
line, it will be necessary to prime the pump
when starting again.