operational efficiency above 5,000 feet, it may be
necessary to readjust the carburetor. Refer to TM 5-
2805-209-12 for proper carburetor adjustment at
Section V. OPERATION OF MATERIEL USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE PUMPING UNIT
26. Fire Extinguisher (Bromochloromethane Type)
a. Description. A bromochloromethane fire
extinguisher (fig. 10) is provided with the equipment. It
is a vaporizing, liquid-type, pressurized, trigger-operated
pump of 1 quart capacity.
b. Operation. Remove the fire extinguisher from
its location and squeeze trigger. Direct the stream at
the base of the flame.
Be extremely careful when using a
extinguisher in an inclosed area. A
poisonous gas is generated by the
with a heated metallic surface.
before entering an inclosed area
where bromochloromethane has
c. Refilling and Maintenance. For refilling and
maintenance, refer to field maintenance.
27. Fire Extinguisher (Monobromotrifluoromethane
a. Description. The monobromotrifluoromethane
type fire extinguisher replaces the carbon dioxide and
carbon tetrachloride type fire extinguishers and in the
past. It is generally suitable for all types of fire, with the
exception of fires involved with LOX (liquid oxygen)
generating equipment. The fire extinguisher is furnished
with a disposable-type cylinder.
b. Operation. To operate the fire extinguisher.
perform the following operations:
(1) Remove the fire extinguisher from its
(2) Break the seal by pulling the safety pin
from the handle.
(3) Point the horn at the base of the flame.
(4) Depress the trigger for discharge and
direct the stream of contents at the base
of the fire.
(5) Replace with a new cylinder immediately
c. Replacement of Cylinder. To replace with a
new cylinder, perform the following operations:
(1) Press the lever to release pressure from
the old cylinder.
(2) Loosen the swivel valve coupling nut
and remove the valve assembly from the
(3) Remove the instruction band from the
(4) Place the new cylinder through the
(5) Replace the safety pin in the valve and
seal with sealing wire.
(6) Attach the valve assembly and tighten
the swivel coupling nut on the new
cylinder and replace the fire extinguisher
in the mounting bracket.
(7) Adjust the instruction band on the
d. Maintenance. Weigh the fire extinguisher
every 6 months and replace the cylinder if the gross
weight has decreased 4 ounces or more. Lubricate the
cylinder neck threads with 1 drop of OE 30 oil before