(3) Inspect parts for cracks, breaks, stripped threads, or
Replace damaged or defective parts.
(4) Coat all parts with a thin film of light lubricating
oil (item 5, App. F), before assembly.
Reassembly and Installation.
Never attach a wrench to the thread portion of
If nipple is a close nipple, make sure
a replacement is available in case threads are
(1) Coat nipple threads with commercial type nonhardening
sealing compound with gasoline resisting qualities, and install nipple
(11, fig. 5-18) and valve (10).
(2) Attach elbow (9) and drain valve handle (8) to valve
(3) Install key (7) and collar (6).
(4) Install support (5) and control rod packing unit (4).
(5) Insert rod and handle (3) and install pin (2) and
(6) Install manhole cover (para 5-26).
DISCHARGE VALVE ASSEMBLY,
Removal and Disassembly.
Use only explosive-proof lamp or flashlight
inside of tank.
(1) Remove manhole cover (para 5-26).
(2) Remove straight pin (1, fig. 5-19), control lever (2),
operating lever rod (3), packing nut (4), adjusting bale (6), lift rod
(7), and cam support lever (5).
Grasp valve body (22) while removing nut
and washer (9) to prevent valve assembly