Figure 4-18. Recoil Starter Removal
(1) Remove retaining dip (6). Apply slight pressure to keep springs from popping up.
(2) Remove flat washer (10). Mark face of friction plate (14) to indicate spring position. Remove friction
(3) Remove return spring (12), spring cover (13), and friction spring (11).
(4) Mark ratchet cam (8) to indicate front face. Remove ratchet cam (8).
(5) Pull the rope T-handle until approximately one foot of pull rope is exposed.
(6) Grasp the rope firmly and push the knot approximately six inches out of the T-handle.
(7) Untie the knot.