CRANKSHAFT ASSEMBLY REPLACE REPA/R (CONT)
Locate main bearing caps in accordance with match marks made during removal.
Install caps starting from center and working toward front and rear bearings.
12. Install main bearing caps (3) No. 1 through 6 as
Align capscrew holes in cap (3) with holes in
cylinder block. Make sure main bearing ring
(9) and lower bearing shell (5) are properly
Install washers and capscrews and hand
When hitting the cap, make sure the
bearing shell and dowel ring do not
Hit cap with a rubber hammer to push it
into correct position.
Tighten capscrews (1) as follows:
(1) Tighten both to 110 ft-lbs (150 Nm).
(2) Tighten both to 210 ft-lbs (285 Nm).
(3) Tighten both to 305 ft-lbs (415 Nm).
(4) Loosen both completely.
(5) Repeat steps (1) through (3).
Measure end clearance of crankshaft (10)
(1) Set up dial indicator (11) on oil pan
(2) Put plunger of indicator against crank-
(3) Push crankshaft toward rear of cylinder
(4) Set dial indicator at 0.
(5) Push crankshaft (10) toward front of