4.12 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM MAINTENANCE.
4.12.1 Battery Test.
Test Equ ipment
Multimeter (appendix B, Section III,
Equipment shut down, refer to
paragraph 18.104.22.168 or 22.214.171.124.
Battery cover removed, paragraph 3.4.
General Mechanics Tool Kit (appendix B,
General Safety Instructions
Section III, Item 1)
DO not work on battery with negative
Do not work on equipment without
following standard shop safety
Do not work on battery with negative terminal connected.
To prevent rolling or sliding, do not work on equipment that is not
Ensure both wheels of equipment have chocks that are
Failure to obey
Loosen nuts (figure
Loosen nuts (3) and
these warnings may result in serious personal injury.
4-36, 1) and remove negative connectors (2) from
remove positive connectors (4) from batteries.
Using battery tester, test state of charge.
Recharge battery as required.
If battery cannot be recharged, replace battery, paragaph 4.12.2.
Set multimeter to read continuity, and perform following:
(1) Remove nut (5) and terminal (6) from positive solenoid terminal (7).
(2) Check continuity from positive connector (4) to terminal (6).
(3) Check continuity from negative terminal connector (2) to starter ground
(4) If either cable does not read continuity, replace cable
(5) Install nut (5) to positive solenoid terminal (7).
Install positive connectors (4) on positive terminals (9).
Install negative connectors (2) on negative terminals (10).